Although investment is encouraged in Vietnam, there are sectors banned to invest in Vietnam which foreign investors need to be advised and considered when setting up business in Vietnam.
The list of investment sectors banned in Vietnam has been issued with Decree 108/2006/ND-CP dated September 22nd 2006 of the Government on guiding the implementation of some Articles in the Law on Investment.
I. The projects which are detrimental to national defense, national security and public interest
1. Production and processing of drugs
2. Investment in services that secretly investigating infringe upon the interests of the State, the legitimate rights and interests of organizations and individuals.
3. Investment in the fields of private detective and investigation.
II. The projects which are detrimental to the historical places, cultural, ethical, habits and customs of Vietnam
4. The projects built on the campus of the national historical and cultural places, projects that negatively affect the architecture and landscapes of national historical and cultural places.
5. Production of depraved and superstition cultural products.
6. Production of dangerous toys, educational harmful toys that affect to the character and health of children or to the security, social order and safety.
7. Prostitution business, trafficking in women and children.
8. Experimental reproductive cloning in humans.
III. The projects harmful to people’s health, destroying natural resources and destruction of the environment
9. Manufacturing of prohibited chemicals (contact ANT Lawyers for details) (according to the Convention).
10. Production of veterinary drugs, plant protection drugs that are banned or not permitted to use in Vietnam.
11. Production of medicines for human use, vaccines, biologicals, cosmetics, chemicals and pesticides, bacteria which are not permitted to use in Vietnam.
IV. The hazardous waste treatment projects brought from overseas into Vietnam, production of toxic chemicals or the use of toxic agents that are prohibited by the provisions of international treaties
12. The hazardous waste treatment projects brought from overseas into Vietnam, production of toxic chemicals or the use of toxic agents that are prohibited by the provisions of international treaties to which Vietnam is a member.
V. Other investment projects that are prohibited under the provisions of law.
At ANT Lawyers, a law firm in Vietnam with offices in law office Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, we are available to assist clients in licensing and post-licensing matters to help clients with all questions and services in setting up and maintaining the company or other form of business entities in Vietnam. We could be reached at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or office tel: (+84) 28 35 20 27 79.